WHAT IS THIS PROGRAM?
The Crisis Stabilization Unit (CSU) program opened in 2014 was created in conjunction with the San Francisco Department of Public Health to evaluate and triage children and youth (ages 5-17) who are experiencing acute psychiatric symptoms or a mental health crisis. The Edgewood CSU is one of only a few CSUs designed to serve youth 5-17 years of age in the entire state of California and the only one serving youth under 12 in the Bay Area.
Currently, most children in crisis situations end up in emergency facilities that are inadequately prepared to manage children experiencing a non-medical, emotional crisis. The CSU provides a safe, structured, child-friendly and family supportive environment.
We accept referrals from all counties in the Bay Area and beyond. We accept Kaiser, most private insurances, and Medical of San Francisco.
- Youth who are experiencing a psychiatric crisis in San Francisco and neighboring counties who need immediate crisis evaluation and stabilization services
- The CSU also supports youth who are experiencing a mental health crisis and are in need of a multidisciplinary assessment and planned overnight stabilization in an effort to prevent acute psychiatric crisis.
- The CSU is a multidisciplinary team, including a Medical Director, Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, Clinicians, Nurses, Counselors, and a Family Peer Partner. Nursing and clinical care are provided 24/7. The CSU team, in conjunction with the family, determines and facilitates discharge and safety planning.
WHAT SERVICES DO YOU OFFER?
- Comprehensive psychiatric evaluation and risk assessment
- Medical screening
- Collaborative treatment planning with an individualized, strength-based focus
- Crisis stabilization and prevention
- Discharge planning including linkage with community supports and services
- Coping skills building and safety planning
- Parent and guardian support and education
My son and I were a little scared when we came here. The staff did an amazing job of explaining everything and being so transparent. It was so refreshing and comforting and made the already heightened situation much easier to handle.Allison, Parent of CSU Client
CSU Main Line: 415-682-3278
Referrals are accepted 24/7
The CSU works in partnership with
several departments including:
- Kaiser Permanente
- Bay Area School Districts
- Emergency Response Services
Liz Siliato, LMFT
Lisa Neves, LCSW