What is this?
Edgewood’s Hospital Diversion Program offers a residential housing alternative to psychiatric hospital and shelter care or temporary placement for children. We assess young people while initiating interventions that help them return home safely. The typical length of stay is ten to twelve days.
The program serves youth and families experiencing acute stress due to emotional, behavioral, social, and or familial challenges. We understand that every family’s experience is unique, and we make sure each individual situation is understood, addressed, and incorporated into our care.
What services do you offer?
We provide 24/7 care covering a range of services including:
- Assessment, crisis stabilization and intensive interventions (10-12 days)
- On-site child psychiatry and nursing services
- Communication-focused integrative care
- Individual, group, and family psychotherapy
- Therapeutic classrooms integrating academic study with interventions
- Clinical case management to coordinate services with schools, primary care physicians, and community providers
- Skills building and therapeutic groups for parents and youth
- Linkages to community supports and services
All treatment takes place in one-on-one, dedicated, and structured environments. We focus on safety planning, crisis stabilization and problem solving.
Who is this for?
The Hospital Diversion Program is intended for troubled children and youth between the ages of 6–17.
Participants exhibit multiple problem behaviors that threaten their health and safety. This may include youth with severe emotional disturbances. Often these youth experience acute symptoms related to mental illness, trauma, extreme conflict, and/or significant behavioral and developmental difficulties.
Admission criteria for acceptance into the program requires that the youth:
- Has acute psychiatric symptoms or is referred for mental health assessment in an unlocked setting
- Cannot be managed outside a 24-hour program and/or exhibits significant danger to self or others
- Lacks significant support, resources and ability to effectively utilize community-based treatment
- Exhibits significant impairment in judgment, impulse control and/or cognitive/perceptual ability due to psychiatric problems
- Has significantly impaired interpersonal functioning including with peer and family relationships
- Experienced significant dysfunction in educational and/or occupational settings
We receive referrals for Edgewood’s Hospital Diversion program from all over California. We accept most major insurance plans. If we are not currently a credentialed program/facility with your health plan, we can negotiate with you. We can also accommodate self-payment plans.
Please contact our Intake Team at 415.682.3172 or email@example.com for more information about insurance and payment options.
We are currently a contacted program/facility with:
- Aetna Behavioral Health
- Anthem/Blue Cross
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Healthnet/Managed Health Network
- Kaiser Permanente